Hydroponic Gardening is becoming very popular. There are many reasons for this, but first we need to define hydroponics or hydroponic gardening.
The simple answer is that hydroponic gardening means growing plants without soil or dirt. A growing medium and nutrient solution are used instead.
Advantages of Hydroponic Gardening
- Hydroponic gardening means year round gardening. In other words, you can have fresh herbs and vegetables year round. No longer do you need to do without during the winter or even worse, pay the prices for produce flown in from another continent. Year round gardening means year round fresh produce on your table.
- Hydroponic gardening can be accomplished in a very small or confined space. And, it is best done indoors. So if you do not have a yard, hydroponics may be your answer for how to be a gardener.
- Hydroponic gardening does not use soil. Plants grown in soil expend a lot of their energy sending the roots out looking for nutrients. With hydroponics, the roots are fed directly with the nutrients, allowing the plant to spend its energy growing a higher yield. And, since the plant is not exposed to the soil, the roots will not pick up any diseases which can then kill your plants.
- Hydroponic gardening can be very controlled and precise. As the gardener, you will control the amount of nutrients your plants receive, as well as the amount of light. Because this is usually done indoors, you do not have to rely on the sun and the amount of rain to make your plants grow. You have complete control with a hydroponic garden.
- Hydroponic gardens are relatively easy to set up. Many supplies can be purchased from your local discount store. You can choose to spend a lot or a little, depending on your goals. You can even buy kits for getting started. The one thing you must not skimp on is the nutrient solution. Because your plants are not getting certain trace minerals from the soil, you must provide them. Therefore, be sure to buy nutrients made specifically for hydroponic plants.
Whether one of these reasons is your deciding factor for becoming a hydroponic gardener or all of them are, you will find the hobby not only fascinating as you learn more, but also very rewarding as you provide your family with a constant flow of fresh produce year round.